On July 1, 2004, the NYC Community Education Councils and Citywide Councils began their historic new role in educational history. The Councils, known as CECs, have in essence replaced each district’s Community School Boards.
The CEC serves as an advisory board providing input and comment to the Chancellor and the Panel for Educational Policy regarding the needs of the district and DOE policy, in addition to policy implementation. We serve as advocates for the parents of the district, as well as the district itself to the Chancellor and PEP.
There are 32 CECs in NYC, one for each of the community school districts. There is also a Citywide Council on Special Education (CCSE),a Citywide District 75 Council (CD75C), a Citywide Council on High Schools (CCHS), and a Citywide Council on English Language Learners (CCELL).
Some of the core responsibilities of a CEC include:
- To promote achievement of educational standards and objectives relating to the instruction of students
- To serve as a liaison with School Leadership Teams and provide assistance where possible.
- To provide input to the Chancellor and the Panel on Educational Policy on matters of concern to the district
- To submit an evaluation of the Community Superintendent
- To review the district’s educational programs and assess their impact on student achievement
- To approve zoning lines for district schools
The Councils were designed to ensure that parents have a voice and are able to provide hands-on leadership and support for public schools. Parents control the majority of the seats on all of the councils; at least 9 out of 12 available seats are held by public school parents. Students and community members make up the remaining seats.
Community Education Council 31 (CEC 31) represents the entire borough of Staten Island. CLICK HERE to view an interactive MAP of STATEN ISLAND PUBLIC SCHOOLS.
Our office is located at the Petrides Educational Complex, 715 Ocean Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10301.
You may reach us by phone at 718-420-5746, by fax at 718-420-5745 and via e-mail at CEC31@schools.nyc.gov
Please use the menus at the top this page to step inside and see what’s new…